Family Heirlooms – 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy

Week 6 – Family Heirlooms: For which family heirloom are you most thankful? How did you acquire this treasure and what does it mean to you and your family?

We have a few family heirlooms for which we are very grateful.  The photo above for example is of some of the Daw pioneers: namely William Doig Duncan and Rose (nee Gorrian) with their daughter Alice Cecilia Hinde (my husband's great grandmother).  


We also have the family bible as pictured above.

I really treasure a scrap book that my father kept of our trip overseas when I was very young as it contains beautiful pen and ink drawings of the places we visited and all the usual ephemera such as menus, napkins, and cabin baggage tickets - not to mention photos...


 Beautiful no?

But the heirloom I treasure the most and that I can't pick up and run out the door with in the event of a fire is my mother's desk.  
You can barely see the poor thing as it groans under the weight of all that family history!!!


Thank you Aunty Denise for insisting that I get it put on the back of a truck and sent up from Sydney to Brisbane after my mother died.  
You were right.  
It is a beautiful desk which she lovingly restored herself and it comforts me every day to sit here.
We miss her this day and every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme