Fab Feb Photo Collage Festival - Day Eighteen

Mother Mrs Conner England c 1922

This is Caroline Cook nee Jefferies - my 2nd great-grandmother.

Caroline was born 21 March 1852 Dock Row, Porsea, Portsea Island, Southampton.

She married James Vernon Cook 25 October 1871 in Portsea and they had, I think, eleven children.

This photo was in my Grandmother's collection, from her husband's side of the family.  This is what is written on the back of the photo:

It's such a shame that we don't have the whole postcard anymore with all the writing on the back which might have provided more useful information.  Most frustrating.  But because I can see the date 21 March on it and that is meant to be Caroline's birthday, I wonder if it was taken in honour of her birthday.  A significant birthday perhaps.  


Here is a photo of her grave at Wymering courtesy of cousin Geraldine.  She was 76 when she died so maybe it was the occasion of her 70th birthday. 

The photo's identification was backed up beautifully by my cousin Geraldine in England who sent me this photo in 2009.  It was obviously taken at the same time - only in a standing position.


It's an amazing outfit she is wearing isn't it?  It reminds me of a dress designer that we used to have here in Australia - very swish - ooh maybe about twenty years ago - but her name completely escapes me.  It's all kind of patchwork isn't it?

According to Caroline's wedding certificate her father, Thomas Jefferies, was a Principal Convict Warden.

James Cook's father was a Cab Proprietor. 

And in closing, in my bumbling and stumbling about the web I found this interesting site too.

Thanks to Julie, Pauleen and Kristin for their inspiration for this month's posts.


Comments

Kristin said…
That dress is amazing. Do you think she crocheted it herself?
Alex Daw said…
Dear Kristin

That is a very interesting point indeed. I think we were in the times of not having ready-to-wear fashion - so yes, there is a strong possibility that she did. I hadn't thought of that.

Alex
Ann ODyne said…
1922 is between bustles and flappers, and this sort of dress was being made, radically for the era, by Coco Chanel.
follow this link and scan down to 'Spanish Lace' frock.
She looks very Bohemian - not straightlaced like Salvation Army members. Aren't families fascinating!
Alex Daw said…
Ann - you are just amazing! Thank you. I love this stuff.
Kristin said…
I agree, Ann that is a great find! And it only cost $17.95. I would buy one! I'm pretty sure my great grandmothers didn't sport any such fashionable attire, more's the pity.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme