R is for Rodger (and Reading and Really Good Reference)


R is for Rodger (and Reading and Really Good Reference)

I've been agonizing over what to write for this post.  Have I covered everything I should have covered?  I am not an expert in this area by any stretch of the imagination.  I am still feeling my way round the subject.  Should I write about Ratings, Rigs, or Remittance Registers?  Did I cover all the right references? Have I been remiss in something?  Oh the agony!


A boat at the Garden Island Museum...who can tell me what kind of boat this is? It was in the Garden Island RAN Heritage Centre
Picture me thumbing through book after book, seeking inspiration.  I was reminded that I hadn't really looked at Dr. Nicholas Rodger's Naval Records for Genealogists.  I googled him to remind myself of his qualifications. And they are very substantial indeed.  Here is the Wikipedia entry.  Looking at the Authority Control at the bottom of the Wikipedia page is always interesting too....for example, look at the World Cat Identity page on Dr Rodger - isn't it fascinating looking at all the stuff he's written and how much it gets borrowed in libraries. Or am I just a bit of a mad librarian who finds this kind of stuff fascinating but to everyone else it is deeply boring?

The mad librarian heading off to Storytime at the local kindy yesterday.  The hard hat was to illustrate a story about our library undergoing some construction work at the moment.
At any rate, one thing led to another and I landed on this magnificent website. What a labour of love this is.  It is of course a boon to someone in my profession - an endless source of Reader's Advisory to someone seeking a new read in naval fiction.  But it is actually so much more....look at this page for example.  Or this one.   This one would give me several years worth of blog prompts!  

Of course you should always check out who is behind a website and what their qualifications or authority is before you accept it as gospel. You can see this site's About Me section here (it's not all that easy to find).  But I thought the site was pretty neat for what it was.  It reminded me that to get a feel for a subject we don't have to read just non-fiction.  I have started to read Patrick O'Brian's Road to Samarcand.  It's a light-hearted read full of adventure and comedy that blokes seem to love so much, bless 'em.  

If you have very tricky reference enquiries you really are best to talk to a librarian/archivist.  The National Archives has published some very good research guides online like this one.  There is live chat, email and phone numbers in case you need more help from a real person.  And of course, many other libraries and archives around the world provide similar services.

Go on!  Make a research adviser feel loved and wanted. Be brave and ask them a question.  May your research voyage be a splendid one!







Comments

crgalvin said…
L is for Love a mad Librarian and an excellent Research librarian. Your posts are always fascinating and well researched, loved the Historic naval fiction site.
Alex Daw said…
Ooh Carmel you are too kind and make an old chook blush!
Dianne said…
My husband LOVES sailing and has read all the Patrick O'Brian books, and another author I forget the name. More books about the sea. After he sailed to Hawaii, around the islands and back a few years ago, I found this quote for him:
"Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up." ~ Henry David Thoreau
GenieJen said…
Thanks am really enjoying your blogs for this month. I've only recently found sailors in my tree so your blogs have been timely. From another mad librarian
GeniAus said…
Our geneacommunity is enriched by the current and retired members of the library profession who have been bitten by the geneabug. Alex and Carmel you teach us so much, thanks.
I don't think it is boring at all. Reading the fine print, so to speak, is a great way to find more bunnies to chase. At this rate, I should be at my goal weight in a week. haha

I enjoyed your post. Have a blessed day!

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme