Sepia Saturday 217: 1 March 2014



Alan from Sepia Saturday says:  

Once again hats feature in our Sepia Saturday theme image, but this week let's take our hats off and see what else there is in the picture. Well there is a telescope and there is a mountain and there are three great composers (yes Mike Brubaker, your Christmas and Birthday have come all at once!). The picture, which was taken around 1900, shows Julius Röntgen, Frants Beyer & Edvard Grieg on Mount Løvstakken in Norway. If all that music and that weighty telescope is not enough for you, you might want to note that as well as composing music, Frants Beyer was also a tax inspector and therefore you might want to scan your grandad's tax returns and submit them to the Sepia Exchequer. However you decide to interpret this fine old photograph (which comes from the collection of Bergan Public Library on Flickr Commons), just post your post on or around Saturday 1 March 2014.

I don't have terribly much to contribute this week but I am delighted to have found a photo of a telescope in my collection.  What are the chances of that?


Ethel Conner (nee Carrett) with telescope c 1950

I have no idea where this was taken but I'm guessing the Blue Mountains. Telescope, tick.  Hat, tick.

Here is a photo of my maternal grandmother Kit McLoughlin, nee Forfar also taken at the Blue Mountains near the Three Sisters. Hat, tick.  Mountain, tick.




View Larger Map


Oooh look - I found another more recent one with a telescope in the background...




Yes I know it's not a mountain.  It's the Eiffel Tower with my father and my best friend Deborah on a cold winter's evening.  Look, I even found a couple of hats.  This was taken circa 1979. Hats, tick.  Telescope, tick.


Picture Queensland had the following on offer....



The telescope is being set up on the Soldier's Memorial Hill to view a total eclipse of the sun 
on 21 September 1922


View Larger Map




Or this



Four women at an outing at Tithrungli Mountain in the Blackall District (Description supplied with photograph). They sit and stand on rocks with a view of the surrounding countryside in the background. They wear scarves over their hats for shade and have collected some branches. 








And finally this....




Group of men outside the St. Bernard Hotel at Mount Tamborine, ca. 1910

I reckon this mob would have had a telescope.  I think one of them is hiding it behind his back.





View Larger Map


That should keep you going but if you seek more, focus your scope here.

Comments

Jofeath said…
Good photo finds, tick tick.
Wendy said…
Group of 3, Tick.

Still laughing over the man hiding a telescope.
21 Wits said…
Oh my, you had an absolute wonderful find this week. Especially the lady on the bench with her telescope, how interesting that is!
Rosie said…
Lots of ticks going on here.....great post on theme.
La Nightingail said…
I love that someone else has the imagination to reckon someone probably has a telescope or perhaps some binoculars behind their back or elsewhere - given the location of the photograph! :)) But women in long skirts climbing mountains or even hills still get my complete respect. Nice post & good sleuthing for appropriate pix - check & check!
I like Ethel's quite casual pose with the telescope - it must have been quite light to balance on just one hand - even with the support of the seat. I always find it hard to hold telescopes and binoculars still.
Brett Payne said…
Very impressive that you were able to find a real telescope photograph in your family collection.
Postcardy said…
The telescope was a lucky find. Telescopes aren't really made for carrying around like binoculars are.
Alex Daw said…
Thanks Jo. It was a good meme wasn't it?
Alex Daw said…
Oh Wendy I'm glad I tickled the funny bone :)
Alex Daw said…
Didn't I Karen? I just whooped with delight when I spied it.
Alex Daw said…
Thanks for your kind comment Rosie.
Alex Daw said…
I thought the women looked nice and relaxed and happy. Thanks for your kind comments.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Jackie - yes she does look relaxed doesn't she. And I was chuffed that it was pointing in the same direction as the prompt.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Brett - lovely to have you back on deck. Yes, I was quite chuffed when I found it. Good old Gran!
Alex Daw said…
Hi Postcardy. Wasn't it what! I must ask my father if he can remember the occasion and whose telescope it was et al.
Mike Brubaker said…
Well done! It's interesting how every family from nearly every generation has a photo of people posed on a rock.
Bob Scotney said…
Great post; so many rocks/mountains. I really should have included my wife and daughter on rocks in the Norwegian mountains.
Alex Daw said…
Thank you Mike. We do love our rocks don't we? Perhaps because they endure.
Alex Daw said…
Thank you Bob. It's never too late! Go on...do it!
Anonymous said…
And Kit is so suitably dressed for mountain viewing. I know our clothes are so much more practical these days but the formality of dressing in former years is much more interesting and often so less drab.
Little Nell said…
Well done on all these pictures Alex, but I have to say the one at the head of your post is wonderful!
Alex Daw said…
Isn't it a corker Little Nell? I hooted with delight when I saw it...talk about lucky.
Alex Daw said…
I think the phrase is well turned-out boundforoz. It seems ridiculous now doesn't it but I have to say I think she looks very sweet.
Pat's Posts said…
Very nice....I especially like Kit with her pocketbook pose.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme